Wednesday, 6 May 2015

The 10 Anit-ageing Rules You Can't Ignore

Anti-ageing-Tips-and-advice

I've been blogging for about 18 months but really I wrote my first post about 15 years ago* for a friend's website. It was called 'Tips for Great Skin' but it was actually more of an anti-ageing guide. I recently decided to look it up to see if what I wrote has stood the test of time and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the my advice was solid and timeless. While I might have been ahead of the game with my approach to anti-ageing, I'm kicking myself that I didn't spot the bigger potential in writing about beauty on the web. That definitely goes on my list of missed opportunities.

The piece was made up of 10 tips which I've now tweaked and updated to make even more relevant for today. In the intro of the original I wrote that the key to good skin isn't a £150 jar of cream. That was something I felt was the politically correct thing to say rather than a rule I lived by. Though expensive skincare isn't the be all and end all when it comes to preserving looks, I've always thought it was beneficial and think it's even more so today as formulas have advanced so much. So, apart from using good quality products that are right for your skin type here are my top anti-ageing tips:

1. Apply And Re-apply A Sunscreen Product Throughout The Day
This is the best thing you can do for your skin! Moisturisers with SPF15 will not necessarily offer adequate protection so it's better to use a single purpose sunscreen regardless of the weather. My original recommendation was Clinique City Block SPF40 as it protects against UVA1, UVA2 and UVB rays (learn more HERE) and it can be used around the eyes. I think this is still a good choice but today they're are plenty more options to choose from and those by La Roche Posay are very reliable. Remember, if you layer two products with an SPF your level of protection is only of the product with the highest SPF and isn't the sum of the two. Don't forgot to use a lip product with an SPF as well.

2. Don't Skimp On Oral Hygiene
Floss your teeth daily (I find these floss picks make the job less of a chore) and keep regular appointments with you dentist and hygienist. Not only will you have cleaner teeth and fresher breath but you will help prevent your gums from receding and the loss of bone density in that area. This in turn will help prevent lines around your mouth and the contours of your lower face sagging. White(ish) teeth will also brighten up the whole face but always seek advice about teeth whitening from your dentist as over zealous use of bleach can cause sensitivity problems.

3. Drink Water But There's No Need To Overdo It
Drinking 2 litres of water a day is one of the most common beauty tips but those extra dashes to the loo really aren't of any benefit to your skin. Keeping hydrated is important but you should vary your water intake according to the weather and your activity levels rather stick to a precise amount each day. It's common sense that if you exercise on a hot day you're going to need more fluids than if you stay curled up on a sofa on a cold day. Herbal teas, soup, fruit and veg also help keep you hydrated. In fact some experts suggest that you should 'eat your water' by consuming a lot of high water-content vegtetables.

4. Eat Well
A healthy diet is vital for good skin because a limited intake of nutrients will get used up first by other organs, leaving skin under-nourished. Skin loves healthy fats which you can get from oily fish, coconut oil, avocados, olive oil and organic meat and poultry. Nuts are also good but I find too many can give me spots with brazil nuts being the worst. Also very much worth eating is a lots of colourful veg and low sugar fruit such as carrots, apricots, spinach and other green leafys, tomatoes, blueberries and peppers. Smoothies are a great way to consume lots of fruit and veg easily and you can also add  powders and liquid supplements like THESE.

5. Effective Cleansing
Double cleansing in the evening is the best way to ensure that make up, grime and impurities are throughly removed. I find a balm or oil is a good choice for the first cleanse as this dissolves makeup and surface dirt really well. For the second cleanse I like a gel that helps emulsify any left over oil/balm and leaves skin feeling clean but not 'squeaky' or tight. I can highly recommend the La Roche-Posay Physiological Cleansing Gel. I'm not as keen on exfoilating muslins for rinsing as I once was and now prefer less abrasive cloths for rinsing. Washi make lovely hot cloth flannels and I also like the bamboo muslin ones from Aurelia as they're lovely and soft. I'm not a fan of sonic face brushes as I think they're too hash but if you have one try not to use it more than 2/3 times a week.

6.Wear Sunglasses All Year Round
People might think you're wearing glasses to look cool or because you've a hangover but they actually provide real anti-ageing benefits. They will help protect the very delicate area around the eyes from sun damage. They will also help prevent the whites of the eyes from developing the yellow tinge that results from accumulated exposure to the sun. The bigger the glasses the better and of course the lens must meet UV European safety standards.

7. Managing Breakouts
The common assumption is that either diet, hormones or stress are to blame for spots. This is true but there's another common cause of spots that's often overlooked - an allergic reaction. Skincare and haircare products and even laundry detergent can all cause breakouts. If you suspect that you have spots caused by a beauty product scale back to basics. Another issue that's worth addressing if you're getting spots regularly is skin barrier function. If that's not working properly it makes skin more sensitive and vulnerable to spots and other problems.

8. Look After Your Hands
Hands can give away your age even more than your face can so it's important to look after them. The best thing to do is to apply a broad spectrum SPF product to them every time you go outside. It doesn't have to a specialised hand product - your face spf will do the job perfectly. It's also a good idea to slap some of your face serum on the back of your hands in the evenings. When it comes to over-night moisturising, nothing does a better job than a proper hand cream and, as far as I'm concerned, the thicker the better. This Salve from Kiehls works well.

9. Work Up A Sweat
Going puce and getting sweaty might not look good at the time but a couple of hour later your skin will glow. Pores will get flushed out and bringing the blood to the surface 'feeds' the skin. Some people even recommend standing on your head or doing the down dog on a daily in order to get a regular rush of blood to the head. The benefits of exercise on skin are also long term. The one exercise I prefer to avoid is jogging. It's thought that repeated pounding the pavements can accelerate sagging.

10. Routine
All the above tips will only make a difference if they're carried out regularly. Routine is king (or queen). The same goes for the skincare products you use. True benefits are only seen if apply them daily over a period of time. It might seem a bit of an effort at first but it soon becomes habit and in years to come your future self will appreciate it.

* The original post is date marked as 2011 but I think this must refer to when the site was reformatted.
Share this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment