I've just spotted that SpaceNK have started selling the Iluminage Skin Rejuvenating Pillowcases so I thought it would be a good time to write about the pillows and pillowcases that are supposed to be of anti-ageing benefit.
The idea that a silk pillowcase helps prevent facial lines, bed head and split ends is nothing new and opinion is divided over whether it works. The Iluminage pillowcases takes the concept one step further as they are embedded with copper oxide, which is supposed to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, etc. However, while the branding of this product is new, the technology behind it isn't and the 'intelligent fabric' being used is made by Cupron, who've been selling copper embedded products for a long time.
Though I haven't tried the Iluminage pillowcase, I've had the Cupron one for at least five years and while I think it does help reduce lines I'm not convinced it does so any more than a much cheaper, silk pillowcase.
The Cupron/Iluminage pillowcases aren't actually made of silk but are polyester that has a satin feel to it. According to the Illuminage site, this is how their pillows work their magic:
When skin is in contact with the copper oxide fibers, copper ions are liberated into the moisture space between the fabric and the skin. Copper ions released into this moisture help support skin’s natural self-renewal mechanism and help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Clinical studies are referred to and the Cupron site has more details of on this here, though I'm not sure if the numbers involved are large enough for the results to be meaningful. Personally, I find the claims a bit hard to swallow but, of course, I could be wrong. I've actually written about Iluminage before here and it does sound like a really interesting brand. Also, I've had a lot of use out of my copper infused pillowcase so it would be unfair to say it was a waste of money.
One of the studies on the Cupron site is just on the positive effects copper can have on the skin but my understanding is that it's actually copper peptide and not copper oxide that's exciting the anti-ageing experts. I've been using and can recommend the GHK-CU Copper Pepptide Serum with EGF from the excellent skin care brand NCN, which I'll be writing about in more detail shortly.
The way in which the Cupron pillowcase does work, and this goes for the plain silk versions as well, is that it stops me waking up in the morning with a creased face, which is not something to be underestimated. After a certain age, these crumples and creases can last well into lunchtime so not to have them in the first place is a distinct advantage.
I also think there's a long term benefit to not having your face creased every night. The side we sleep on does tend to show more signs of ageing with, what are generally known as, sleep lines. If you're not getting these on a nightly basis it makes sense that they won't become a permeant fixture.
The reason why sleeping on silk or satin has an anti wrinkle effect is that it's a smooth surface that doesn't tug on the skin but has plenty of slip instead. They're also less likely to bunch up than cotton and leave an imprint on your face. Another benefit to the silk pillowcases is that, unlike cotton, they absorb less water so, in theory, that should help keep your skin more hydrated.
As for the claims that silk pillowcases help prevent hair breakages, bed head and spilt ends, all I can say is that, if it does, it's not remarkable enough for me to have noticed.
The best way to prevent sleep lines altogether would be to sleep on your back. I've tried this and found it impossible. The next best thing could be a memory foam pillow as these cradle your head better. I have this one from John Lewis and I'm pretty convinced it helps. It's also very comfortable. It is possible to buy weird shaped ones that are specifically designed to prevent your head making contact with the pillow surface but they're not something I've tried.
I buy my silk pillowcases from ebay such as this one here for £15. The GHK-CU Copper Pepptide Serum with EGF is £52.99 from Treat The Skin You're In and The Iluminage Skin Rejuvenating Pillow is available for £50 at SpaceNK.

Lovely article xxx
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome to check out my blog -- http://www.mlleepaulettegirl.com/
Message me on insta -- insta@mlleepaulettegirl.com
Wow, i've never even heard about this, what an interesting concept though, I mean I've heard about the silk pillow cases but not much about everything else
ReplyDeleteMichaela
http://emicphany.blogspot.ca
I have a 'Save Your Face' pillow, but I really think I need to try one of the Cupron ones, because I'm still waking up with creases on my forehead sometimes, and I don't think they're the kind that will ever go away! I think with the Save Your Face pillow, there's a certain knack to how you place your head on it, but I move around a lot during the night, so I'll change position and wake up with the dreaded crease. I've also tried sleeping on my back, but no way is that happening - I envy people who can do it, and have no sleep lines as a result!
ReplyDeleteHi Amber, I think I'd move around too much in the night for a Save Your Face pillow too. Have you seen the Nurse Jamie ones? http://nursejamie.com/the-pillow#.U8g4klboZok I have a feeling that they're not going to be any better than Save Your Face. There's also the Juverest but it just looks bizarre! http://www.juverest.com/dp/B00BLDI64W I'd honestly try a plain silk pillowcase before investing in a copper infused one. They're so much cheaper and I don't think you'll notice the difference.
ReplyDeleteAlex X
Read your post then went and did a bit of looking around on my own. Bottom line: interesting, but not enough evidence to support it. And frankly, a good night's sleep is going to do more for your appearance than any hi tech bedding. I'll just take my grumpy old self off to my percale covered super bounce pillow now shall I? :)
ReplyDeleteAli x