With most eyeshadows you can get a good idea of what they're like by swatching them on the back of your hand. However, the new Bare Minerals 5-1 Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadows don't appear to be anything particularly special when sampled this way but apply them to the eyelid and they perform a small miracle. They have a truly impressive brightening and smoothing effect that works so much better than other products that promise the same.
Here are the eyeshadows 5 claims and my view of whether it lives up to them:
Long-Wear Colour - I've been testing them out during days of high humidity and the colour stayed put, didn't fade or crease. This stayed on while the rest of my make up slid down my face.
Prime - I tried the Barely Nude shade as a primer and the eyeshadow I applied on top looked more vibrant. lasted longer and again didn't crease so that's another tick.
Brighten - These eyeshadows are infused with light reflective pigments that aren't obvious but undoubtedly brighten the eye area. They also conceal discolouration and those pesky little red veins.
Smooth - This is the effect that bowls me over the most. It really does smooth the lid and reduce lines and crinkles.
Protect - It contains a mineral-based broad spectrum SPF 15 which will protect your skin better than any other anti-ageing ingredient. For a belt and braces approach you should apply over an eye cream that also contains broad spectrum SPF.
These cream eyeshadows come in 10 shades which you can either match to your skin tone for a super-charged, clean and fresh 'no make up' look or to prime eyelids for your usual eyeshadow. You can use them as a traditional eyeshadow to add colour.
In short, I'd class this product as a make-up bag essential for (slightly) older women. I was initially drawn to them because of the SPF but it's the smoothing and brightening properties that have made them an everyday staple for me.
The Bare Minerals 5-In-1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadows are available now for £17 at the Bare Minerals site or online or in store at Boots.
![]() |
| From Top To Bottom: Barely Nude, Delicate Moss and Divine Wine |

Amazing xo
ReplyDeleteAliona | fromalionawithlove.com
I got a couple like a month ago. Haven't stopped using them.
ReplyDeleteI really like these. I have to buy at least one.
ReplyDeletehttp://speakingbeautyuk.blogspot.co.uk/