For most people, the big beauty preoccupation is finding the perfect mascara or concealer, i.e. that 'Holly Grail' product that puts an end to the switching and swapping every few months. However, my obsession is searching for the ideal sunscreen. This is because I know for a FACT that wearing sunscreen everyday is going to do more than anything else to slow down skin-ageing but, to quote U2, I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
Facial sunscreen formulas have improved so much in the last few years. The previous problems of chalkiness, greasiness, stickiness and pilling have been greatly reduced but an issue that still remains for me is that they make my skin feel tight and dry about an hour after applying. Admittedly, my skin, like my personality, veers to the dry side and this is likely to be age-related but whatever the reason I don't like it.
Step forward the new Zelens Daily Defence Sunscreen. I'd always wondered why the Zelens range didn't include a sunscreen and it turns out that it's a product they've had in development for years. Dr Marko Lens (the super-brains behind the brand) wanted to create the perfect formula before unleashing it on the public.
The result is one helluva high tech product. I'll try and stick to the headlines when describing it as if I went into detail you'd be reading this post for the next three hours. It's got photo-stable (doesn't degrade in sunlight) broad spectrum SPF30 but the UV filters are encapsulated which prevents direct skin contact. This significantly reduces 'dermal uptake' and the chance of an allergic reaction. Basically it means the UV filters do their job while staying on the surface of the skin and without compromising the skin's natural barrier.
Alongside the UV filters there's a whole host of active ingredients that both reduce the formation of free radicals and help repair DNA. They include Vitamin C, Vitamin E, A Botanical Antioxident Complex, Imudilin and Endonuclease. All these ingredients are of the best quality and work synergistically to give results. Anyone familiar with Dr Marko Lens knows that he's not a man who does things by halves and he carries out his work with the highest level of integrity so this is all top level stuff.
Now, going back to the problem I have with sunscreens making my skin feel dry. I'm so pleased to say this is something that just doesn't happen with Zelens Daily Defence. It smoothes on beautifully, is a great base for make up and skin stays moisturised.
The one gripe I can see people having with this product is the price as it's £55 for 50ml. However, a lot of sunscreens that you might compare it to are in 30ml bottles so the price difference is deceptive. I suppose it comes down to how much you want to invest in your skin. Personally, I take skincare very seriously, have a spend now to save later policy and, for the past 25 years, have always sought out the best products available at the time. With hand on heart, I think this is the best sunscreen available today.
For full disclosure, I was sent a sample of Zelens Daily Defence Sunscreen for review but I will definitely be putting my money where my mouth is and will be buying it from now onwards.

Any chance you could post the ingredients list? I can't seem to find it online & your review has definately peaked my interest!
ReplyDeleteHi Anne, The active ingredients are Octinoxate 7.49%, Octisalate 5%, Avobenzone 3% and Octocrylene.
DeleteThere's a breakdown of the interesting and beneficial ingredients here: http://www.zelens.com/daily-defence-sunscreen-spf-30
This is the full list of ingredients:
AQUA (WATER), ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, ETHYLHEXYL SALICYLATE, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, GLYCERIN, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, BUTYLOCTYL SALICYLATE, BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE, OCTOCRYLENE, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, GLYCERYL STEARATE, PEG-100 STEARATE, DIMETHICONE, MICROCOCCUS LYSATE, PERILLA FRUTESCENS LEAF EXTRACT, SODIUM HYLAURONATE, GLUTAMYLAMIDOETHYL IMIDAZOLE, ASCORBYL TETRAISOPALMITATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, CENTELLA ASIATICA EXTRACT, ECHINACEA ANGUSTIFOLIA LEAF EXTRACT, GINKGO BILOBA LEAF EXTRACT, PINUS STROBUS BARK EXTRACT, LECITHIN, SILICA, HYDROGENATED PALM GLYCERIDES, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, PVP, POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE, SORBITOL, CETEARETH-20, ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, SODIUM POLYACRYLATE, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), LINALOOL, SORBIC ACID, CHLORPHENESIN, PHENOXYETHANOL, BHT, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, DISODIUM EDTA
I hope that helps! Alex x