Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Cle de Peau Concealer - Swatched and Reviewed

Cle-de-Peau-Concealer-Reviewed

When it comes to cult beauty products I think the Cle de Peau Beaute Concealer tops the list. It has a reputation for being very good but it's equally well known for being the world's most expensive concealer. So is it worth it?

I'm such a beauty junkie and was so curious to try out this much-hyped concealer. However, I feel uncomfortable and embarrassed to admit how much I paid for it (£75 - please don't judge me). In a way, I was actually hoping that it wasn't going to be that good as I'd prefer to think that high end make-up is over priced for what it is. As it turns out, it's not only excellent but the best concealer I've ever used.

It comes in a lipstick style bullet with a very secure top that clicks shut. You can either use your finger or a brush to apply it. The consistency of the product is almost balm like and very highly pigmented, making it perfect for (slightly) older women as you don't need to use much and it isn't drying.

It blends beautifully and looks completely natural. It works well on all the places you might need it such as under eyes, spots and imperfections. My problem area is the large pores on the sides of my nose. I've tried so many concealers here but they all sink in to the pores to leave a horrible mottled or pocked effect. The reason I like the Cle de Peau concealer so much is that it doesn't do this and gives a smooth, even and matte finish instead. It also has good staying power. It looks good for a few hours around the eyes and blemishes and a couple of hours on my nose. It actually contains powders and I don't think you need to add any more on top to help it set.

It has a nice subtle scent that's to me redolent of an expensively dressed older lady. It only comes in 4 shades with the darkest being Honey which, unfortunately, isn't great for those with deeper skin tones. I have Ivory and though it's pale it does still have some warmth to it. It has an expiry date of 24 months which is good as because it's so pigmented it's not something you'll use up quickly.

Out of interest, despite what the name suggests, Cle de Peau Beaute is a Japanese brand that's owned by Shiseido.

So, back to my original question - is it worth it? It depends on your budget, of course, but my view is that if you get in America

where's it's $70 or £45 then yes, it's definitely worth getting. As it's not officially available here, you really have to pay through the nose for it and I think it's quite hard trying to justify paying £75 on a concealer.

In the US it's available at Nordstrom and I bought mine on here on Amazon.

Cle-de-Peau-Concealer-Reviewed
Cle de Peau Concealer in Ivory. Left: Heavily Swatched. Right: Blended.

Cle-de-Peau-Concealer-Reviewed

Cle-de-Peau-Concealer-Reviewed

Share this post:

4 comments:

  1. Oh my word! £75! I'm joking. I'm not judging - that would be pot kettle black! Wonderful review. Informative, fluid and funny. Love it! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa! It's a ridiculously stupid amount of money to spend on a concealer - I don't know what came over me. Thank you so much for such a lovely, kind comment. It really means a lot. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my I've had the exact same issue with the pores on sides of my nose recently & it's driving me nuts - I feel like it's so obvious when I'm talking to people. My friend is going to US next year - wonder if I can hold out until then haha

    Nic
    ps so happy to find your blog via Jane's anti-anti-ageing post! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nic, Though I bet your pores aren't half as bad as you think they are I completely understand why you're self conscious about them. I'm constantly trying new concealers and bases so if I find one to be particularly good I'll definitely let you know. Pleased you like my blog as I'm a big fan of you and yours! xx

    ReplyDelete